I love this unusual dessert because it reminds me of my childhood. The Plum Dumplings are not too sweet nor heavy and I didn’t want to deprive my daughter of such delightful pleasure, so I have made some replacements to the original recipe in order to be accepted by all our family, full of allergic people :-). In fact, I love the result because it is no difference in taste and it is much healthier. You can surprise your family and friends with their taste and aspect.
- 1 pound (400 gr) potatoes -approx 2 large potatoes
- 0.2 pound (100 gr) flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
For crumbs / filling:
- 10-20 tablespoons bread crumbs
- Sunflower oil
- 2-4 plums (depending on their size)
- Wash the potatoes (do not peel) and put them in hot and salted water to simmer.
- After they are boiled, let them to cool and drain. Peel them.
- Mash the potatoes and add the flour, oil, salt and sugar. Knead until obtaining a dough.
- Prepare the plums : take the pits out and cut them in 8 (approx 1 inch dices).
- Take one by one the pieces of plums and cover them in dought by making a ball with a bit of plum in the middle. Round off between palms.
- Simmer them in hot and salted water. They are boiled when they are floating.
- Put them to drain.
- I bought the bread crumbs already made, but it can be made from 2-4 slices of firm white sandwich bread (just crushed).
- Put some oil and brown a little bit the bread crumbs. Mix them with some sugar (depending on your taste, we put 4 tablespoons of sugar) and roll the drained Plum Dumplings in it and then pour all the rest in the same serving bowl. You can also add some powder sugar on top.
Enjoy the allergen free dessert Plum dumplings !