Every time it comes to preparing sandwiches for my daughter I’m thinking… what else? I don’t like feeding her too many meat products but what else could be good for a little snack at school or as a take away? We have tried the hummus in a Lebanese restaurant for the first time and our daughter loved it even she was only three years old at that time. Since then, we have tried to preparing it at home many times but it didn’t come up as tasty like the Lebanese one until I’ve heard about adding some tahini in the mixture. Well, tahini or tahinis is a sesame paste that you can add in a lot of foods to make them better and tastier and you can find it already prepared in any supermarket. The good news is that the result is not only delicious but it is also very healthy: the chickpea has a lot of proteins and the sesame is very rich in calcium, much better for the health than any milk product. In conclusion, I totally recommend you to try it: it’s a very tasty and healthy paste, easy to prepare, easy to be eaten.
- 800 ml (1.7 lb) cans of chickpea /1 cup dried chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3 cloves of garlic (use bio garlic, but if you have only garlic produced in China is better to put just half clove)
- The juice of half lemon
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- I have used canned chickpea because it’s already boiled and peeled but if you have dried chickpeas you need to soak them overnight in warm water, boil them (about 40 minutes) with a pinch of sodium bicarbonate and peel all chickpeas in order to obtain a smooth paste. Do not throw away the water where they boiled! Same if you use canned chickpea: drain but do not throw away the water where it stayed because you’ll need it later and can also make very good marshmallows. You can find the allergen free recipe here.
- Once all the soaking-boiling-peeling is done (or you have bought the cans ☺) it is very easy to prepare: just put all the ingredients in bowl and blend them with a stick mixer. From time to time just add some of the liquid were the chickpea stayed (from the cans or the water where they boiled) in order to obtain a good texture for your paste: not too hard and not too creamy.
- For presentation you can spread on top some sweet paprika or chopped fresh parsley.
Enjoy your sandwiches ☺!