Considering my daughter’s allergy, I have tried all kinds of homemade dairy free ice-cream recipes and I can tell you we have thrown away a lot of food! Ice-creams with avocado, lemon or bananas, nothing came up tasty for her (actually for us eider) until this recipe borrowed from our vegan sister-in-law! Not only that our daughter adores it but we love it too! It is absolutely delicious and we strongly recommend you to try it even if you don’t have problems with the dairies, eggs or soy.
Here is what you need to prepare:
Ingredients for ice-cream:
- ½ cup cashews (Attention! They need to be soaked overnight)
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 1 tbs vanilla bean powder (or vanilla extract)
- 1/8 cup maple syrup
Ingredients for caramel:
- 6 dates
- ½ cup coconut cream
- ½ tbs vanilla powder (vanilla extract)
- Pinch of salt
Ingredients for chocolate:
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/8 maple syrup
- Place the cashews in a bowl with water and let them soak overnight.
- Mix all the ice-cream ingredients into a blender until you obtain a smooth texture.
- Pour the ice-cream mixture Into a mould and place it into the freezer for 1 hour or until the ice cream is firm.
- While you wait for the mixture to freeze you can prepare the caramel and the chocolate. From our experience we suggest you to keep the caramel as a side for the adults because it is not always welcomed -the smallest member find it too much for the ice-cream, she preferred the ones without caramel but with a lot of chocolate covering ☺.
- Combine all the caramel ingredients into a blender until you obtain a creamy texture. It will be a little bit difficult but if you shake it well and arrange the mixture from time to time you’ll prevail ☺. (You might find it easier to use a blender stick for the dates).
- Take the ice-creams out from the freezer and out from the mould and place them onto an aluminium foil. Spread the caramel evenly onto the ice-creams and put them back into the freezer on the aluminium foil. They need to rest there for about 2 hours in order to allow the caramel to hardened up.
- Mix all the chocolate ingredients in a bowl until you get a smooth chocolate mixture.
- Spread each popsicle with the chocolate mixture and place them back on the aluminium foil in the freezer to dry. As I was telling you above, you can skip the stage with the caramel at least for some of the popsicles to see how it is for your taste. We have eaten the remaining caramel separate ☺
Enjoy the allergen free ice-cream – the tastier dairy free ice-cream possible!